I recently came across the blog of Jabedi mapping, by Di Brown and loved this post so much I had to share it with you…
Tourism is the job of every South African
words by Di Brown
Right now the powers that be are at the SAACI 2013 conference in Port Elizabeth, brainstorming the way forward to boost our economy via the Conferencing Industry. This is a job for the big boys, government. Ministers, hotel chain owners, events companies and YOU.
Yes, you, the little guy who runs a one man show related to tourism, the guy who sweeps the streets and the corporate accountant who has nothing to do with tourism.
You do not even have to know anything about tourism to aid this growth.
Just be proudly SOUTH AFRICAN. Do whatever you can to enhance both the reality and the perception of what South Africa is.
It is really so easy.
10 small steps to make South Africa greater
1. Be friendly | smile at people, acknowledge others, be helpful
2. Don’t litter | lets start cleaning up this country, mess does not make a good impression
3. Say NO to corruption | clean up your own act, speak out, do not be part of it
4. Share your pride | focus on what you like about S.A and share it
5. Do your bit | do your job to the best of your ability every day
6. Think ! | think before you moan, rather apply your mind to a possible solution
7. Be fair | no one likes being ripped off, offer value and gain loyal supporters
8. Help | offer a step up rather than a hand out, you could change a life
9. Change | is not as scary as you think, embrace it
10. Be a Giver| rather than a taker and you will gain unexpected rewards.
We can all do a little to make South Africa a place we would love to come to for business and pleasure.
About Di Brown
Di Brown is the co owner of Jabedi Mapping and believes that maps are the ultimate tool for marketing a destination. Di is mad about South Africa, and its tourism industry. At 52, she decided to learn and embrace social media. She started blogging to get exposure for the interactive mapping website she is building. However, the whole blogging thing seemed to develop a life of its own and now she’s just going with it.
I hope this post inspired you to Share your Mzansi love – over the interwebs, in your communities, wherever you go – and make South African GREAT!
Do you have any other ideas on how we can make South Africa great? Share them in the comments below…